Tuesday 1 April 2014

Robochallenge 2014- The draw

So the draw happened yesterday, the 31st of March. Here's my pretty good draw for HardWired 2's inaugural competition, along with my opinions on each.

Binky vs Ironside vs HardWired

Binky: powerful vertical spinner, relatively new machine from the experienced Team Eventorizon. Experienced technical issues last year, looks much stronger this year.

Ironside: unknown, most likely a spinner. Could be a robot re-using an old name, details are elusive.

This is a funny one, for my first matchup. Starting with the unknown, Ironside, I can't seem to figure out whether it's the hexagonal pusher, the spinner or the bar spinner (most likely the bar, I think) really only poses a risk from battering my electronics out of their sockets, spinners won't do much at all to HardWired I don't think. Course, I don't know what it is, so this is one I'm being cautious of. Binky is the major threat here, mainly due to that spinning disc sending me potentially out of the arena
. Most likely going to use HardWired's speed to avoid that. Again, spinner - probably not going to do a whole lot to mine, but still a fun fight for my first ever venture into combat robotics.

HardWired vs Carcinus vs NST

Carcinus: clawed robot with overhead saw blade, Dead-Metal style. Older machine, recently updated, from the very successful and experienced Drumroll team.

NST: Nasty Spinney Thing. Lives up to it's name - extremely powerful horizontal spinning bar. 2012 UK champion, 4th place last year. Ranked 4.

Carcinus has the claws, and I think the grinder atop, which would be back for my wheels, but I hope I can take it on. Might not have to, since number 4 seed NST's reared it's (very well engineered) head. Again, a spinner won't be bothering HardWired too much, but need to be careful of the shocks to the electronics. Few good hits and it'll hopefully send itself out of the arena - despite it's pedigree, I'm quietly confident about this one. This will be swiftly deleted and henceforth forgotten if I'm sweeping HardWired out of the arena. 

Joule vs Gianto vs HardWired

Gianto: very little on Gianto. Participated in Robot Wars 7 but likely a new featherweight version of the very good heavyweight, Tanto. Very experienced team, likely new robot. May be a very strong pushbot with heavy armour.

Joule: Very strong overhead hammer, powered by a 5 HP motor. Featured on the BBC's "Absolute Genius" as Stingray. New machine from the very experienced Robochallenge team. They host the championships, they know their stuff.

Just what I didn't want. Joule terrifies me, despite the obvious technical issues an electric hammer could pose to itself, this is a very well engineered machine and could absolutely murder HardWired. I don't have the advantage I'd have with Little Hitter either, being able to get it to waste CO2, electrically driven axes I'd assume are just consistently brutal. I'd guess that it'll jump a lot, and HardWired's low front will help considerably here, and the energy dissipated into the machine will be much less, I would guess. Really, I'm just praying that there's a bit too much power in the axe and it conks itself out, is that wrong? Gianto is an unknown here, going to take an educated guess and say it's not Gianto from Robot Wars but a featherweight Tanto, which is still something to be very cautious of. Assuming this, it poses less risk in the way of straight up tenderisation, but more in the way of brute force. If Joule goes, it's just a pushing match and driver skill will prevail, not something I'm all too confident on. I'm great with RC cars, just inexperienced in combat. 

Beauty 8 vs Gianto vs HardWired

Beauty 8: Pneumatic flipper from team Beast, who also run second seed and 2013 runner up Beauty 2. Could be lethal, but hasn't yet reached the heights of it's counterpart.

Gianto: as above. 

Over in ten seconds, if Beauty has it's way. I've seen Beauty 2, less of Beauty 3 through 7 so I really can't comment, but would assume it's just as dangerous. My planer blade on the front will be crucial here. Gianto's here again too, and I have no idea what it is or anything so again I can't really comment further than what I've already said. Hopefully I can get Beauty to waste those flips, since I can't keep it in the pit either whilst it still has them. Going to be a tough one again.


Pretty pleased overall, managed to miss most of the flippers and most of the ones that would give HardWired the hardest time. That's got to be a good thing! 

All this said, I cannot wait to get there, it's going to be a ton of fun, and finally living that childhood dream! Albeit 17 years late, but I got there eventually!

No comments:

Post a Comment