Tuesday 1 April 2014

In the beginning...

Despite being established almost 2 years ago now, Flag Robotics is now finally taking part it it's very first championship. 

HardWired II, which is still a work in progress is my machine, and is designed around simplicity, and as such sports no weaponry, just a powerful drive system with thick armour all round. 



Basically, I'm not really good enough to do weapons yet, but this fighting robot will definitely be able to hold it's own in the arena.

Since the days of Robot Wars, things have changed pretty dramatically and robots are a lot tougher than they used to be, particularly the spinners (robots with a high speed spinning disc or bar designed to tear into others) so I've naturally had to rethink HardWired I's 2mm thick aluminium. 

The solution? 6mm Hardox steel. Perfect.  Bearing in mind, robots such as Tough as Nails and the older Ripper use 4mm Hardox, and they're Heavyweights - HardWired is only a Featherweight, at about 13kg! 


This blog will be a documentation of my time leading up to and at the 2014 Robochallenge championships. I'm a bit behind, so there'll be a bit of catching up to do, starting with the draw and the build, of which the draw will be first because I still need to finish the build. Whoops.


Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment